Reflections on a Move - A Scrambler Live Blog.
Well, here we go: my third (fourth?) move in China. It's a stunning Friday afternoon, and I've decided to live blog this experience as an advanced, technology driven form of procrastination. For those reading at home, welcome!! For those at work, NICELY DONE.
Ok, here we go.
- SOUNDTRACK UPDATE: Zitilites by Kashmir. Literally the only CD I own anymore, and a strong contender for my favourite album of all time. Zero bad tracks, perfectly paced, and magic. Highly recommended.
- Moving in winter is SIGNIFICANTLY better than moving in summer, even if it's technically spring. It's a warmish day, T-shirt and jeans, a moisture free grundle: perfect.
- Moving with a mild hangover? WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TO FRIENDS. Yeesh. Horrible idea...got all excited that I didn't have to work today. Negronis are the natural predator of Scrambler.
- Seriously, where the fuck is that plane?? Come on guys, admit you shot it down or SOMETHING.
- I HAVE DEVELOPED A WAY PACKING WITH NO FIXED POSITIONS! Linen in with kitchenware?? It adds the padding!! Books in with clothes?? No ultra heavy boxes! I'm fucking owning this move.
- Seriously, this album is fucking epic. How amazing are these guys?? Fucking Danish alt rock man: that's the real hipster cred, right there. Check this out:
- So Zitilites finished, and I went to my Spotify 'Albums to Listen to' playlist, and came up with The Boxer Rebellion's 'Promises', and three tracks in, I'm switching. It isn't bad, it just isn't...anything, really. Classic 'Meh' indie rock.
- So on goes...Unknown Mortal Orchestra! Change of pace, not to shabby.
- Bedroom pack time. Time to chuck some shit out!!
- What is the shelf life for sentimentality? I was given a hat on my birthday in 2010 in a bar in Washington, D.C., and it was a beautiful gesture from a lovely guy. But four years later, I'm just not sure I need to hold on to it. Hmmmmm. Not sure what to do.
- St Lucia have taken over the stereo, things are happy bouncy. Do you think Paul Simon is shitty with these Brooklyn hipsters for basically ripping off 'Graceland'? I don't care, this is derish.
- Move progressing. Box fort coming into effect. Must remember not to box myself in.
- Ikea update: they have given me a window of delivery...from 2pm until 8pm! What the fuck, you muppets? Six hours?? Get your shit together.
- WE'RE BACK! After lunch, a haircut and a meeting, it's back to Boxes.
- New Bombay Bicycle Club. Great band, shitty name.
- FUUUUUUUUCK. Some people stub their toes...I just stubbed my entire fucking leg on this shitty fucking coffee table fuck fuck fuck I almost snapped my shin fuck fuck this is the worst gah damnit fuck.
- Fuck. Still fuck.
- Sorry for the delay, this is all the result of shitty Chinese internet. Oh, and the fact that I spent 4 hours with Ikea retards as they bumblefucked their way through the construction of Kinder Surprise-difficulty-level furniture. I could have hired random epileptics with screwdrivers, fired up a strobe, and got it done faster. Oh well, life goes on.
- BREAK for fried chicken and beer occasion. Gotta love Shanghai, and its never ending push to become a statehood of fatshits. NOM NOM NOM.
- Now, we're nearly done. House of Cards is on, and I'm drinking out of the only glass vessel left unpacked: a small vase. Classy.
- Not too shabby. Thanks for reading, gang. Hope it helped you get through your Friday. Shout out to Ros, Tessa, Bec, Nat, Brendan and Hayley for the FB chat!