Random Thoughts of a Tired Man.
For the last few days, I've been in Southern China helping our client sponsor a massive golf tournament that sees Asian and global celebrities play with professional golfers. I've had roughly four hours sleep a night for a week. I'm a space cadet. So here are some thoughts.
- When you see it up close, the cult of celebrity is fascinating, and utterly repulsive. If you aspire to be hugely famous, check yourself before you wreck yourself. I was standing talking to Chris Evans, who was enjoying a beer. We were shooting the shit while he waited to tee off. He was cool, relaxed and just a nice guy. He finished his beer, and I offered to put it in the bin for him, as I was closer. As soon as he passed it to me, 10 crazy fans (teenage girls, and a creepy older woman) SCREAMED at me "GIVE US THE BOTTLE!! GIVE US THE BOTTLE!! as if it was the cup of life. I gave them a disgusted look, and turned back to Chris, putting the bottle in my back pocket to throw away later. I think he thought I was keeping it (damn it, no cameo in Captain America for me). He left, and I gave it to the crowd of psychos. Two girls immediately licked the rim. Gross.
- Never confuse Account Service with actual friendship: in an environment where alcohol is everywhere and everyone is having a great time, you'll get invited to have a drink with the client, who will make you feel welcome. Do so. But don't forget: you are totally expendable. I learned this lesson in the weirdest possible way, but I'll never forget it.
- Flip side: sometimes having a drink and an honest chat it the only way to get bigger business done. Trust matters. But alcohol also changes people, and monsters emerge. I hadn't seen this for a long time, but I saw it here. The next day, the beast was gone, and It was as if nothing had happened. Surreal.
- Morgan Freeman had my favourite quote from the trip: when asked how he handled the insanity of fans, he said 'It's hard every day. But it'll be harder on the day it's no longer there.' What an interesting insight into fame.
- Jessica Alba is hot to the point that she's almost hard to look at. She looks like she was designed by a committee of hot people to achieve peak babe.